Greenwich Neighbourhood Watch Network were approached by local policing teams to help problem solve and provide assistance regarding a large rise in parcel theft from apartment blocks and cycle thefts from locked communal garages. The problem had got so bad that residents had decided to put the cycles in their properties, instead of the locked facilities.
The issues being identified, GNWN spoke with residents about the incidents and found that by reducing the opportunity for the crime to happen in the first place was an immediate action that could be taken. We designed several posters to be printed and distributed in the target areas agreed and working with residents, we encouraged them to follow some simple ways to reduce the risks.
The simple guide for parcels being taken were:
- Advise courier company NOT to leave parcels outside property door or in communal areas
- Arrange for a time for delivery when you will be in or provide instructions to leave with a specific neighbour
- Do not let people into the building that they don't know - either by letting them in via the intercom system or by tailgating.
- Report maintenance issues regarding communal doors.
With regards to cycle theft from communal garaging:
- Make sure you use an appropriate lock
- Report maintenance issues
- Park in a well lit area
- Do not allow tailgating or let people in that you don't know
The result was a 24% reduction in the first three weeks.