A ‘better place to live’ is, of course, what we would all like to achieve – whether it be making new friendships, looking after our environment, supporting our neighbours, reducing isolation and loneliness, or working together to reduce fear of and opportunities for crime. Through this campaign, we will support you to:
- REGISTER YOUR MEMBERS
- BE MORE ACTIVE
- GROW YOUR GROUP
WHY REGISTER YOUR MEMBERS?
The strength of our charity is that we are volunteer-led and are embedded within communities for over 40 years. But times have changed and how we process data has changed. Like any membership organisation, we ask volunteers and members to register. We have a robust and free membership database which means all data is GDPR compliant, and you don’t have to carry that risk with you as a volunteer.
Registered members will receive a New Member Welcome Pack from us by email and regular crime prevention advice. They can opt to receive further information from local organisations, such as the police. Members can sign up in three easy steps, and as they move area, their account moves with them.
With all your members registered, you (as a Coordinator) can manage your scheme from one central place. When you decide to move on from being a Coordinator, handing this role over to a new person is easy through our membership database.
EASY WAYS TO REGISTER YOUR MEMBERS
Login to your member area, and send them an email invite to join your scheme.
Encourage your members to sign up at ourwatch.org.uk/join. Once they have registered, they are invited to join your scheme through the member area.
Add your members for them by signing them up at their front door using your smartphone. This can be done in a couple of minutes using our new portal which will be launched soon! Remind them to verify their account via email.
WHY BE MORE ACTIVE?
We are proud to say that we have a tested brand recognition of 93%. Despite this, it is clear that not everyone knows what we do, and we need your help with this. By being more active and vocal within your community, not only does our charity become more visible, but more importantly active groups are more effective at preventing crime, reducing loneliness and isolation, and building a more resilient community.
Being more active also means you can hear additional concerns within your community, and members of the group can support each other more. If you are stuck for ideas on how to be more active, see our top tips below; or share ideas with other Coordinators and find out what they are doing in their areas to tackle issues on our Knowledge Hub forum. If you are a Coordinator and have not yet registered for our Knowledge Hub, you can register here.
TOP TIPS TO BE A MORE ACTIVE GROUP
- Download our HOW TO GUIDES for simple steps on how to organise events:
- See our tips on activities to:
- Get some more tried and tested activity ideas through our BEST PRACTICE pages
- Get more ideas from Neighbourhood Watch events such as our webinars, workshops, summer seminars or conferences. Details of events are emailed to registered volunteers.
- Need some funds? Apply for our Community Grants Fund
WHY GROW YOUR GROUP?
We asked over 13,000 people what they thought of us, and they said “NEIGHBOURLY, COMMUNITY-FOCUSED and INFORMATIVE”. The vast majority of members said that we are effective in preventing crime, contributing to community health and wellbeing, supporting the vulnerable and isolated, and strengthening community spirit. But we wanted to delve deeper and understand more about what prevents people from joining, and we discovered the top four barriers were:
- there isn’t a group in their area
- they don’t know who else is involved
- no-one has asked them
- they are not sure about what is expected of them
This is where you come in! These barriers are all easily overcome by chatting with your neighbours. And there is no better time to invite people to join your group than now. Together you are able to not only celebrate the good times, but also support each other through the times such as the cost of living crisis.Together we are stronger.
NOT SURE WHERE TO START? HERE ARE SOME IDEAS
- We hope that you have received a BETTER PLACE TO LIVE campaign pack with JOIN US flyers and MEMBERSHIP postcards. If not, contact your Association for one, or order one from our shop
- Make sure your scheme is registered and your details are up to date, so that others can find it.
- Be more active as a group - this increases your presence.
- Consider starting a Neighbourhood Watch social media group
- For comprehensive guidance see our 'Developing your scheme' page on our Knowledge Hub. If you are a Coordinator and not signed up yet to our Knowledge Hub, sign up here.
|"You didn’t choose your neighbours, but by choosing to work with all of the wonderful characters in your street, you are making it a better place to live. Together."|