Reporting a crime

If you are unlucky and have been a victim of crime you can report it in several ways:

  • If it’s an emergency and the crime is still taking place, call 999 and ask for the police.
  • If it’s not an emergency, do not call 999. This doesn’t mean the crime is not important – it just helps the police to make the best use of their resources. Many police forces use the 101 non-emergency number, so you can ring that number instead.
  • You can go to your local police station and report the crime there. You can find the address and telephone number in the local telephone directory or online. Check what time your local police station is open, as not all stations are open all the time.
  • If you have information regarding a crime and don’t want to talk to the police, contact the charity Crimestoppers online or call 0800 555 111. You will remain 100% anonymous. Always.

Please note: Neighbourhood Watch does not take reports of crime.

Following a crime

  • Prevent others becoming a victim: Tell your Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator: They can warn others in your area of the crime whilst keeping your confidentiality if you wish. The quicker you act, the sooner you might stop someone else becoming a victim. 
  • Support for yourself: If you have been affected by crime and need confidential emotional support or advice on what to do next, you can contact Victim Support on 08 08 16 89 111.


We have specific advice on how to report a variety of scams on our Scams: what to do page.