Register your bike for free with www.bikeregister.com, the UK’s only police-approved cycle database. This will help police to find it if it gets stolen.
Take a photo of your bike and keep it with the insurance details. Make a note of the make, model and serial number.
- When parking away from home make sure your bike or motorbike is locked to a heavy duty piece of street furniture and where possible with the lock or chain off the floor.
- Make sure the lock you use is independently tested (e.g. Sold Secure approved), the correct size and difficult for thieves to access to break it.
- At home, lock bicycles and motorcycles in a secure garage or shed if you have one, using a good quality U-lock or chain and padlock to a ground anchor. Consider using two different types of security device, as often tools to attack one type of device aren’t so applicable to others.
Fit an alarm to your motorcycle.
- Mark your bicycle frame with your postcode in two separate locations if possible, one of which should be hidden.
Keep your car keys somewhere out of sight in your home where they aren’t visible from windows or doors. When you go to bed, take keys into your bedroom to make them less accessible to intruders.
Use an anti-theft device on your car. Get one that is Sold Secure approved (www.soldsecure.com). You can search for suppliers on www.securedbydesign.com and your insurance company may also be able to advise you on approved security devices.
Theft from cars
When you park up:
- Try to park somewhere open and well-lit.
- Lock up – including the boot.
- Remember to close the windows and sunroof.
- Don’t leave anything on show in your car when you park – not even a coat or empty carrier bag.
- If you have a removable sat nav, remove it and take it with you if possible when you park up, even if only for a short time. Remove the mounting, polish any marks off the windscreen and hide the cable and mounting.
- Store car ownership information at home, not in your car.
- Number plates are often stolen for criminal use. Use plates secured with anti-theft screws, available from car accessory stores.
- Try not to store things in the boot.
- When you leave the car, take removable radios, stereos and sat navs with you.
A ‘Park Mark’ shows that a car park meets recognised security levels. More information can be found at www.parkmark.co.uk or via the British Parking Association on www.britishparking.co.uk or 01444 447 300.