Neighbourhood Watch is supporting the launch of a major new campaign designed to tackle financial fraud.
The campaign- Take Five- aims to put consumers and businesses back in control with straight-forward advice to help prevent financial fraud and encourage people to take a moment.
It is designed to remind people that it pays to “stop and think”.
Take Five is the first national campaign to be backed by all the major banks and other financial service providers across the UK.
“Financial fraud can affect anyone and often has devastating consequences. With news that incidences of fraud are increasing, it’s time for action. That’s why the Take Five campaign is so important and we’re proud to support it. We urge everyone to take a moment and help take back control.”
NHWN chairman Lynn Farrar
“The industry is already taking action on fraud, last year our members stopped £7 in every £10 of fraud taking place. However, we know that criminals are getting increasingly sophisticated in their tactics and that’s why we are launching Take Five. We want everyone to take a moment to pause and think to help stop fraud.”
Katy Worobec, FFA UK
The campaign is asking everyone to help protect themselves from financial fraud by remembering some simple advice:
- Never disclose security details, such as your PIN or full password – it’s never okay to reveal these details.
- Don’t assume an email request or caller is genuine – people aren’t always who they say they are.
- Don’t be rushed – a genuine bank or organisation won’t mind waiting to give you time to stop and think.
- Listen to your instincts – if something feels wrong then it is usually right to pause and question it.
- Stay in control – have the confidence to refuse unusual requests for information.
For more information on the Take Five campaign click here