Reporting a burglary

If you are unlucky and have been a victim of burglary you can report it in several ways:

  • If it’s an emergency and the burglary is still taking place, call 999 and ask for the police.
  • If it’s not an emergency, do not call 999. This doesn’t mean the crime is not important – it just helps the police to make the best use of their resources. Many police forces use the 101 non-emergency number, so you can ring that number instead.
  • You can go to your local police station and report the crime there. You can find the address and telephone number in the local telephone directory or online. Check what time your local police station is open, as not all stations are open all the time.

If you have information regarding a burglary and don’t want to talk to the police, contact the charity Crimestoppers online or call 0800 555 111. You will remain 100% anonymous. Always.


Support after a burglary

The prospect of burglary causes anxiety to residents and the experience of it can be traumatic to victims, causing not only material loss but sometimes long-term psychological effects.

  • You can contact Victim Support on 08 08 16 89 111 for emotional and practical support following a crime.