A thatched roof is always at risk from fire, and has its own fire safety issues.
Take the following precautions:
- TV aerials should be fitted to a freestanding pole, or if this is not possible to a gable or gable end chimney where the cable can be run down the wall.
- Disconnect the TV aerial during electrical storms.
- Consider fitting heat sensors and a sprinkler system.
- Fit a smoke detector in the loft and link it to the others.
- Avoid lighting bonfires near your property.
- Take care when doing work such as welding or any other work involving heat. If you are employing contractors to work on your home or garden make sure they are aware of the risks associated with a thatched property.
- Install an outside tap with enough hose to reach around the building. (Never tackle a fire yourself unless you are sure it is safe to do so. Always call 999 first.)