Fire safety in the home
Sit at least 90cm (3ft) from heaters and never dry clothes on or near them or put clothes on a fireguard. Never stand heaters near curtains.
Keep candles in secure heatproof holders and well away from curtains, fabrics or paper. Extinguish them at night and if you go out. Never use tealights without placing them in a holder. Don't leave children unattended with access to lit candles, matches or lighters.
- Avoid leaving children in the kitchen unattended when cooking on the hob.
- Keep pan handles out of reach.
- Take care when wearing loose clothing and double check that ovens and hobs are turned off when you've finished cooking.
- Spark devices are safer than matches or cigarette lighters to light gas cookers as there is no naked flame.
- Take special care when deep frying.
- Keep ovens, hobs and grills clean as a buildup of fat and grease can ignite a fire.
- Keep electrical leads clear of water.
Make sure to use the right fuse with electronic appliances. Never plug an extension lead/multisocket adaptor into another multisocket adaptor. Unplugging appliances when you're not using them reduces the risk of fire.
Keep your important documents and small valuables in a fireproof box.